Revisions to ROM Chip of GTOCP1 and GTOCP2 Control Boxes
The GTOCP1 and GTOCP2 Control Boxes utilize the same microprocessor ROM chip.
05-07-01 Version D and KD (Beta testers 04-05-01)
Check the version letter and date of the microprocessor ROM chip by opening the top of the GTO control box and looking for a label on one of the large, square chips. If your chip is not dated at all, it was probably programmed prior to July 1999 and is an early version. Some chips will have the letter "K" precede the version number, i.e."KC." These chips are for 400GTO and 600EGTO mounts with a 32:1 gearbox (mounts shipped after 2-16-00).
01-22-01 Version C and KC
- Command added to query mount regarding position of telescope on east or west side of pier/tripod. This command is useful for dome control software and remote control.
11-13-00 Version B (the chips issued between 11-13-00 and 01-22-01 are marked "A" but were really version B )
- PEM memory was corrected. The new park function introduced in version B was overwriting the PEM memory.
- Chip has higher memory capacity for new functions.
- Error checking code added to indicate stalled motor and low battery conditions.
- Add an extra decimal digit to the returned RA coordinate when in high-precision mode. This increases accuracy of RA format to HH.MM.SS.S
- Added function that allows keypad to determine version of servo controller software.
- Recognize the ASCII 223 symbol (in addition to the asterisk) as the degree symbol when interpreting commands. This will make more compatible with Meade protocol.
- Eliminate extraneous Dec motion when commanding small RA movements.
- Servo control can be commanded using Alt-Azimuth coordinates.
- New park command de-energizes motor and remembers RA/Dec coordinates when power is removed. Restores saved RA/Dec coordinates on next power up and calibrates to them when commanded.
- Allows recalibration even when scope has crossed the meridian and is on the wrong side of the mount.
- Overload protection improved to utilize thermistor, dual red/yellow LED and N-S-E-W button restart of keypad (requires upgrade of circuit board in GTO control box to implement, also two different chip programs depending on which gearhead is installed).
- PEM for Parallax Mounts corrected.
- Allow recalibration during PEM playback without extraneous motion.
- Initialize the COM ports twice to be sure they can establish communication consistently.
- Horizon check - This function is normally used from the keypad. Added it to the chip so that people who are writing software will have access to this command code. Commands:
:ho# means on
:hq# means off
- Fix communications interrupts that caused a problem when using DigitalSky Voice and TheSky software together. This problem occurred with version 5 of TheSky.
- The telescope can now be placed in any of 3 park positions, the power turned off and the keypad removed. When the power and keypad are restored, the mount will stay parked and not resume tracking until the Resume from Park function has been entered on the keypad.a
Note: We recommend removing all power cords from the mount and/or from the wall socket to prevent damage from direct lightening strikes.
- If motor stalls more than 1 second, the drive will shut off. This is a safety feature to prevent motor burnout in case of severe load on the motor due to an extreme imbalance condition or if the power to the mount has been accidentally left on and the scope has hit a hard stop.
- Fixed PEM (was not recording properly)
- Can slew anywhere in sky with buttons and mount knows where it is (used to get lost if you were pushing N-S-E-W buttons to guide across the meridian or when scope was below mount).
- Made adjustments to allow correct movement (motors and slewing direction) in southern hemisphere.
- Solved 80% of problem - if slew with buttons to various areas of sky, the mount gets lost when asked to slew to object. Just two areas remain that are below mount in areas not likely to slew to.
Back to top
Copyright © 2001, Astro-Physics, Inc. - All Rights Reserved
This page was last modified: November 7, 2001
11250 Forest Hills Road, Rockford, IL 61115, U.S.A.
Phone: 815-282-1513 Fax: 815-282-9847