New Products At Astro-Physics
Other What's New! sections:
Technical Support - Check this section for updates on our instructions and manuals. All entries are dated so you can easily see what's new and if your original manual has been updated.
- April 17, 2018. Our new redesigned 92mm
f6.65 Stowaway is in production
and will be introduced at the Northeast Astro-Imaging Conference (NEAIC)
in a few days. This little gem was inspired by our eclipse adventures last
August with our f5 and f7 Stowaways that we produced from 1999-2002. We had
so much fun with these scopes that we decided to make another run of Stowaways. This
is a brand new notification list.
- December 20, 2017. GTOCP4 software version P01-11 is now up on the GTOCP4 software update page. It is highly recommended that GTOCP4 owners upgrade to this version.
- October 30, 2017. Mach1GTO owners will be glad to see that we now have a heavier 14 lb. Counterweight (14SLCWT) to accommodate balancing heavier loads. This will allow you to optimize balancing your scopes for imaging and visual use (See: Balance to Optimize Guiding).
A new 3.5” Adapter for 4” Focusers (ADA435) allows owners of Astro-Physics refractors with 4” focusers to use the QuadTCC Telecompressor Corrector! The adapter fits into the 4” focuser’s drawtube and receives 3.5” accessories…including the QuadTCC.
The 12” Dovetail Plate (SBD12) has received a “face lift". We’ve replaced several of the center holes with slots to increase its versatility and have added or modified a few holes so that it will better pair up with other brand dovetail plates.
As a reminder…don’t forget to browse our Technical Support page for helpful articles and technical information.
- October 9, 2017. The GTOCP4 software update page is now live. This page will provide everything you need to update your GTOCP4's software to the latest version, except for the Ethernet cable. We just couldn't figure out how to download a cable! ;-)
- July 18, 2017. Special volume
discount pricing for AstroSolar sheets and rolls has been extended through July 31st. Plan your group solar filter making activity now.
- July 17, 2017.Consider our new 11X70
and 16X70 Astronomical Binoculars for viewing the upcoming eclipse (with the proper solar filters, of course) and general viewing for many years to come.
- July 12, 2017. Release Notice!! The AP V2 ASCOM Driver v. 5.10.00 along with APCC Pro and Standard version 22.214.171.124 are officially released. Refer to Version
History for APCC changes.
- June 21, 2017. In case you didn't notice the new entry further down on the Menu bar, Astro-Physics now has a Facebook page. Simply click on the link to go to the new page, and be sure to "like and follow us" if you would be so kind!!! Here's another link to the Facebook page for your convenience. Also, please be patient with us as we build and develop this resource and as some of the "old guys" (meaning Howard and George) get up to speed on this new-fangled electronic wizardry.
- April 24, 2017. APCC Pro
and Standard version 126.96.36.199 is officially released (Note: The actual file date is Feb. 20, 2017. Some of you may already have this version). Refer to Version
History for changes.
- April 21, 2017. We are making a change to our power supply line up! We have replaced our 15 volt Power Supply with a more compact, variable volt unit: 25 Amp Variable Volt Power Supply (PSVPW25A). We feel that this will add greater flexibility of use while taking up less of your valuable space. Our international customers will be pleased, as it will also be able to be shipped overseas.
- April 11, 2017. ** NEWS FLASH ** You can now initialize and park your mount
with Sky Safari and Luminos apps!
Sky Safari 5 Plus & Pro version 5.3.1 from Simulation Curriculum - iOS and Android
Luminos version 9.2. from Wobbleworks
Check out this link for additional information regarding the capabilities of these apps and to see some screen shots:
- March 31, 2017. We invite you to the Northeast Imaging Conference (NEAIC, April 6&7) and Northeast Astronomoy Forum (NEAF, April 8&9) in Suffern, NY. At NEAIC, Roland and George will be demonstrating the 1600GTO German Equatorial mount with our 17" Flat-Field Astrograph. Check out all three of our mounts: 1600GTO, 1100GTO and Mach1GTO at NEAF on Saturday and Sunday. In addition to the 17" Astrograph, Roland will have a new surprise scope to show. Be sure to stop by to say hello.
At NEAF In 2016, Dennis DiCicco, editor of Sky & Telescope
magazine, discussed new products and features with Roland Christen. Topics included:
17" f8 Flat-Field Astrograph, new Auto-Adjusting Motor/Gearboxes, wind-resistance
feature of the Absolute Encoders, new GTOCP4 Control Box and its safety slew
- December 14, 2016. We have been rather lax at keeping the What’s
New up to date, though we have had many new entries. Here are a number
of new products:
We have made the new 130 Starfire GTX's 3.5" Focuser available as an upgrade for 130 Starfire GT "Gran Turismo" owners. It is available with and without the adapter set (see 35FOCER-FT and S35FOCER-FT). The 3.5" focuser will expand the Gran Turismo's imaging perspective by allowing the use of the QuadTCC (see the following annoncement).
Designed for use with the 3.5" Focuser is the exciting and versatile 0.72x Quad Telecompressor Corrector (QuadTCC). The QuadTCC turns the 130 Starfire GTX into an f/4.5 imaging machine! It can also be used on all the Telescope Engineering Company (TEC) scopes that use the Starlight Instruments focusers. All that is required is to order the QuadTCC with the scope specific Backfocus Spacer (A5020, A2680, A5022 and A5023) to provide the correct spacing distance and the required dovetail Endcap (S35RFAA) for the S. I. focuser. The QuadTCC will provide both image compression and pin-point star correction!
Also designed for the 130 Starfire GTX is a new 3.5" Prime Focus Field Flattener (S13035FF) that fits the 3.5" focuser's dovetail system. If you have the earlier 130 Starfire GT "Gran Turismo" with its 67PF562 Flattener and have upgraded to the 3.5" Focuser, you may wish to have the flattener's optics transfered into the new S13035FF housing. We can make it happen!
Nikon owners celebrate...we haven't forgotten about you! We have three new adapters just for you. If you want to attach your camera directly to the telescope (or Barlow) via a nosepiece, then check out the high precision of the Nikon Camera Adapter with Stainless Steel Bayonet (PFCLNIK). If you have one of our 2.7" Prime Focus Field Flatteners, then you will want to use the Nikon Camera Adapter with Stainless Steel Bayonet for Prime Focus Field Flatteners (67RLNIK). Those using our CCD Telecompressor Correctors and CCD Field Flatteners will want to look at the Nikon Camera Adapter with Stainless Steel Bayonet for CCD Field Flatteners and Telecompressor Correctors (ADATCCNIK).
Got a heavy scope and not enough room on the counterweight shaft? ...then weigh in with our new 30 lb. Stainless Steel Counterweight (30SCWT188) for 900GTO, 1100GTO, 1200GTO and 1600GTO mounts. Its wider profile will let you place more weights on the shaft or allow you to slide the weights higher up the shaft to optimize balance for image guiding.
Our new GTOCP4 control box's power cable set with the Anderson Powerpoles offers
the opportunity to insert a DC Inline Watt Meter and Power Analyzer (CABPPWM) so that you can track voltage and amperage draws to examine the health of the mount or to see if accessories are operating within an acceptable range. Adding the new CP4 Powerpoles to Alligator Clips (CABPPAL) from your battery to the DC Inline Watt Meter and Power Analyzer will allow you to see how many Amp Hours of battery draw was used during an observing session and thereby let you accurately plan the battery size required for future star parties. Don't get caught with a dead battery!
- December 12, 2016. We are offering a mount price discount to GTOCP4 owners
who purchased their GTOCP4 as an upgrade for their existing mount. Since you
already have the GTOCP4 and power cable, we are offering a special discount
price for a limited time only.
- February 18, 2016. Our Mach1GTO, 1100GTO and 1600GTO mounts
will be available for purchase on Monday, February 22. These mounts include
the new GTOCP4
Control Box and a brand-new feature: Auto-Adjusting Motor/Gearboxes. These
new gearboxes will simplify balancing (a plus for the portable observers) and
geartrain components are designed for less wear and low backlash that remote
imagers will appreciate. The Mach1GTO will begin shipping in mid-late March
and the others will follow. The Absolute Encoder option is available again
for the 1100GTO and 1600GTO mounts. Check the mount webpages on Monday for
pricing and delivery information.
- December 28, 2015. The "Best Deal Ever" promotion and GTOCP3 are no longer available. Information regarding our mounts with the new GTOCP4 will be available very soon. Delivery of these mounts is anticipated in February.
- October 16, 2015. GTOCP4
Control Box! Our newest GTO control box was designed so that all GTO mounts
produced since 1998 can be easily upgraded. On the surface, you can see that
we have added connectivity options: USB, Ethernet, Wi-Fi. Under the hood,
we have integrated the functions of the GTOCP3, GTOELS and GTOAE Control Boxes
and added Safety Slew logic. Users will especially appreciate the ability
to easily upgrade the firmware in the future. These control boxes are in production
and we anticipate shipping in December.
* * Best Deal Ever * * Limited Time Only * * We have changed our pricing structure for the 1100GTO and 1600GTO mounts and are offering a $500 discount for mounts currently shipping with the GTOCP3. Read all about it on these webpages: 1100GTO, and
- April 14, 2015. Introducing the redesigned “Gran Turismo" at the Northeast Astronomy Forum (NEAF) on April 18, 2015. Roland has taken the magnificent 130 EDFGT and has further refined it! Highlighted features are the improved 3.5" rotating focuser with "Captain's wheel" locking collar and the all-new f/4.5 TCC (Telecompressor Corrector) which covers a 60 mm image circle. See: New 130 GTX.
Mach1GTO Control Box Extension Adapter to Berlebach Tripod (Q6280KIT). Berlebach Tripod owners rejoice! This new Control Box Extension Adapter will allow the Mach1GTO’s CP3 adapter to be directly attached to the tripod…the tripod legs’ locking levers will not interfere. This simple, but vital adapter will also allow control box attachment when upsizing to 8" piers for extra robustness when imaging.
1100GTO Control Box Extension Adapter to 10" or Larger Diameter Pier (Q6281KIT). Not to be outdone by Mach1GTO / Berlebach owners, the 1100GTO also has a new extension adapter to allow its Control Box (single or double adapter) to be used when upsizing the pier to 10" for added rigidity. If you have a custom pier that requires even more spacing, then the new extension can be stacked with as many extensions as needed to do the job.
Mach1GTO Machined Shaft Safety Stop (MSSKB). You’ve asked for it…now we’ve got it! The Mach1GTO’s counterweight shaft is now “dressed up" with a one-piece safety stop. No more fender washer and plastic knob. We’re talking “Uptown" with a finely machined, anodized safety stop that provides safety for you and beauty for your mount. Take the Mach1 to your next star party and feel “Dressed to the Nines!"
Baader Heavy-Duty T-2 Quick Changer (BP6A). If you own a Baader Binoviewer, then you will be elated to learn that Baader has released a major upgrade to their Quick Change system! A new locking thumbscrew has been designed that will prevent the Binoviewer from suddenly swinging around due to its off-center balance. The new Heavy-Duty T-2 Quick Changer provides significantly greater locking force with less user effort than Baader’s earlier unit. If you own a Baader Binoviewer, then you WILL want this Quick Changer!
- October 24, 2014. Astro-Physics
Command Center (APCC) software ---- Offically
Released October 24, 2014 !!
First Rollout Phase - October 24 - November 4
Today, we officially released APCC to a group of individuals who have "V" chips in
the GTOCP3 Control Box of their mounts. We decided to limit the first group of
users so that we can be sure that the online order system and download process
is operating smoothly. Secondly, some of our technical support team from Astro-Physics
will be leaving for the Southwest Astrophography Seminar (SWAP) and the Arizona
Science & Astronomy
Expo (ASAE) conferences in Tucson, AZ on October 28 and will not be returning
to the office until November 5th. Our ability to support this new product during
that time will be very limited.
Although we have shipped a large number of "V" chips as free upgrades to people who had the "S", "S1", "T" and "U" chips, there are still some people who do not have this upgrade yet.
We will contact the remainder of these people during this period as well, so that they also have the "V" chip for the Full Rollout phase. Please be patient if you have not heard
from us yet regarding your upgrade.
If you purchased a mount from a dealer or another individual and have not yet
registered the mount in your name, fill out the
Registration Form and either e-mail, fax or send it in. We will enter the
change of ownership information into our database. If you have one of the chips
mentioned above, we will contact you for your upgrade.
During the first rollout phase, we will also accept new orders for the "V" chip
from customers who have earlier versions, however these chips will not ship until after November 5th. Please fill out
the GTOCP3 Chip Upgrade Order Form.
Be sure that you also fill out the APCC
E-mail Registration form if you would like to take the software for a test drive or complete your purchase.
Full Rollout Phase - November 5
On November 5th, we will begin contacting all of the
people who have "V" chips and have also given us their official APCC e-mail address.
APCC will be available for download to begin your 30-day trial or purchase.
The link to the download area will be provided at that time, which will also
direct you to our e-commerce site.
- July 16, 2014. We have made it easier to motorize your Astro-Physics focuser by adding the Starlight Instrument’s Focuser Boss II Electronic Focusing Control Kit to our product listing. This electronic focusing system can now be ordered in your required configuration directly from our website. Imagers can automate with computer focusing and visual observers can eliminate the vibration and shake commonly experienced.
Another fine addition to our product line is a 2" Nosepiece with 2.156" threads (A2558) that is specific to QSI and SBIG cameras. Improve the orthogonal attachment of your imaging system with this nosepiece.
Please also note that we now stock the robust Losmandy Three-Axis Camera Adapter (LMDVCM2). The multiple axes allow you to aim your camera to a favorite area of the sky and capture beautiful deep-sky images. A D-style or V-style dovetail on top of you scope is required.
- August 30, 2013. 1100GTO German Equatorial Mount. We are now accepting orders for the 1100GTO. For more information on this full-featured mount and its specifications, please check out this link: http://www.astro-physics.com/products/mounts/1100gto/1100gto.pdf
Portability and Capacity!!! This mount is lighter than the 900GTO mount with pier adapter that it replaces, yet its capacity is nearly 50% greater. On-the-road or in your observatory, you’ll be pleased by how well it carries your equipment. It also offers the same optional Absolute Encoders that its big brother, the 1600GTO, uses. Check it out…this is one sweet mount.
- April 4, 2013. 1100GTO German Equatorial Mount. We are very excited to debut our new mid-sized mount at the Northeast Imaging Conference (NEAIC) and the Northeast Astronomy Forum (NEAF) in a few weeks. It incorporates the design features of the 1600GTO in a smaller, more portable package. For your first peek at this full-featured mount and its specifications, please check out this link: http://www.astro-physics.com/products/mounts/1100gto/1100gto.pdf
Portability and Capacity!!! This mount is lighter than the 900GTO mount with pier adapter that it replaces, yet its capacity is nearly 50% greater. On-the-road or in your observatory, you’ll be pleased by how well it carries your equipment. It also offers the same optional Absolute Encoders that its big brother, the 1600GTO, uses. Check it out…this is one sweet mount.
We anticipate that the 1100GTO will be available in late summer. Please consider a new 1100GTO mount by signing up on the notification list: http://www.astro-physics.com/webdata/notify.htm
October 31, 2012. End neck strain now! The new Right-Angle Polar Alignment Scope (RAPAS) has arrived. Increase your speed and accuracy when polar aligning. Light polluted location? No problem. Full moon? No problem. Still twilight? No problem. If you can see Polaris (a second magnitude star), then you can polar align. It was developed to attach directly to the 1600GTO mount; however, we also designed it to retro fit into the Mach1GTO, 900 and 1200 mounts by the use of proprietary adapters. These Right-Angle Polar Alignment Scope Adapters allow it to be removed and replaced while maintaining alignment consistency.
October 16, 2012. Visual observers and imagers take note! Roland has applied his optical wizardry to our Barlow and produced the new 2" Advanced Convertible Barlow (BARADV). This unique Barlow offers various configurations and magnifications. Best of all, it provides a flattened field for imagers with up to APS-C sized sensors, giving your scope a new reach.
August 7, 2012. We have a number of new products which will expand the versatility of our telescopes and mounts.
The astronomy world is abuzz with the introduction of our new 1600GTO and, naturally, there are a few new products being introduced for the 1600 mount (also applicable to the 1200 mounts). A special Flat Surface Adapter with Flat Pier Plate (1612FSA-FP) is being offered to simplify mount attachment to the popular Advanced Telescope Systems (ATS) pier. The flat pier plate can be machined for use with many custom pier designs (the customer is responsible for arranging the machining). The upper section of the 1612FSA-FP is our new, beefed-up Flat Surface Adapter (1612FSA).
A new 23" P-Style Dovetail Plate (SBPW23) will allow you to take full advantage of the 1600GTO’s increased load capacity. It pairs with our 16.5" P-Style Dovetail Saddle (DOVEPW) to create a robust mounting system for any telescope configuration. [“P-Style" refers to the 7.65" standard that PlaneWave Instruments created for their large CDKs.] The extensive hole-pattern of the SBPW23 will accommodate most any attachment need.
We have added to our line of CCD Adapters (A1263 and A1265) and 2.7" Extension Tubes (A3505 and A3506) so that virtually all back-focus spacing distances can now be achieved…simply find the appropriate combination of adapters. This is especially useful when attaching the various CCD cameras, filter wheels and other accessories produced by the many different manufacturers available today.
We have also added a new 2" Barrel Extension with 48 mm Threads (A3703) to make it easier to achieve the proper spacing distance when using our 0.67x CCDT67 Telecompressor. It will also allow you to insert the CCDT67 forward into the light cone in order to reduce in-travel requirements.
Canon EOS owners celebrate! We now carry the Baader Protective T-Ring with 2" nosepiece for Canon EOS (BPEOS). Although Baader calls it a T-ring, it is actually a non-vignetting 48 mm wide-mouth system. You can use this product to directly attach your Canon EOS into a 2" eyepiece holder. But there is more… This system allows a selection of specialized filters to be held inside to further your imaging creativity (UV-IR, H-alpha and UHC-S).
- April 26, 2012. We are please to announce our next run of refractors. Production of the 175mm f8 StarFire EDF with CCD Field Flattener is well underway with the first scopes slated to ship in June. We will honor the people who have signed up on our notification list years ago for either the 180 f9 StarFire EDT or 180 f7 StarFire EDF. At this time, we are not accepting new names for the notification list. We cannot answer who is already on the notification list because we are combining our current lists and a list that had not been transferred over from an older database. Please do not call or email the office until later next week for this answer.
- April 20, 2012. We proudly introduce the new 1600GTO German Equatorial Mount, which features optional Absolute Encoders available for both R.A. and Dec. - the pinnacle of precision. The Absolute Encoders provide completely error-free tracking, software readable absolute position, homing and customizable limit functions. If you are planning to attend the upcoming the Northeast Astro Imaging Conference (NEAIC) next Thursday, April 26 or the Northeast Astronomy Forum & Telescope Show (NEAF) the following weekend, please be sure to check it out. For those of you interested in the 1200GTO, we regret to inform you that it will no longer be available to purchase. Instead, you may want to consider this next generation mount in the same size class. The 1600GTO offers increased carrying capacity, greater latitude range for use without a wedge and through-the-mount cabling.
- March 16, 2012. Looking for a quicker way to set up and break down your Eagle Pier / Mach1GTO combo? We now offer a longer Carrying Case (C0052) for the Eagle Pier that will allow you to transport it at full height and with the 8" Extension in place. The new case is 52" long and fits across the rear seat of a compact car. If space is a problem, we continue to offer the shorter 32" long Carrying Case (C0031).
- March 3, 2012. We are pleased to add the Baader Planetarium Cool-Ceramic Safety Herschel Prism (BPHERP) to our product line. The Herschel Prism provides views of the solar surface with a clarity and contrast that is mind-blowing! Granulation and Sun Spot detail leaps from the eyepiece. Get ready for the June Venus Transit and see it in the best white light view possible…or wait 105 years for the next one.
Be sure to check out all the solar options on our new Solar Accessory page.
We have also added two new lengths to our sets of CCD Adapters and 2.7" Extension Tubes. Our CCD Adapter set now includes new 0.65" and 0.95" lengths. Our 2.7" Extension Tube set now includes new 0.60" and 0.90" lengths. You will now be able to create all your camera’s spacing distance needs by a combination of adapters!
We also want to bring to your attention Ray Gralak’s latest full-release of the AP V2 ASCOM Driver, v5.05.00. We recommend its use for all your mount’s software connections. Please stay current by checking for updates through our website’s AP V2 ASCOM Driver link.
- February 1, 2012. Astro-Physics now has the latest edition of Massimo Riccardi's ATMOS Optical Design and Analysis Software, version 8.7 (ATMOS87) available. Special pricing is available for original, registered owners of previous ATMOS versions. If you are interested in optical design, this is a great way to learn more during dreary cloudy nights.
- May 25, 2011. We have a very exciting upgrade for the owners of Mach1GTO mounts. Our new Precision-Adjust Rotating Pier Base / Hi-Res Azimuth Adjuster Upgrade Kit offers the same smooth and precise rotation as experienced when using the precision-adjust rotating pier adapters with our larger mounts. Regardless of the mount’s load, hi-res adjustments can be made in azimuth with no lockdown needed.
Additionally, we are now offering CNC machined knobs for Mach1GTO owners. The ¼-20 Machined Knob Kit will add both strength and elegance when replacing the existing plastic knobs. They can also be used with the 400, 600, 600E mounts, the Eagle pier and several other accessories. Follow the link to see their many uses.
Last, but not least, we are offering a shorter case for the 130 ’Gran Turismo’ scope. The new case no longer includes a separate compartment for the covers that are used when disassembling the scope for airline shipping. These covers are now stored in a separate, foam-lined box also being offered in our ever-expanding product line.
March 8, 2011. We are offering another opportunity for those interested in upgrading their older 900 Mounts with a 900 Declination Upgrade. Please visit the upgrades pages page for further information. Contact us if you would like to send it in so we can confirm your mount is eligible and has not been upgraded already.
January 13, 2011. Owners of Quantum Scientific Imaging’s 500 series WSG Cameras will be very pleased to learn that we have added two new adapters to our product list. The new A3512 adapter connects our 2.7" and 4" Prime Focus Field Flatteners directly to the 2.156" threaded adapter plate of the QSI 500 series WSG cameras. Similarly, the new A3513 adapter connects our 160 Field Flattener and 160/155/140 Telecompressor Correctors to the above cameras.
- December 17, 2010. We are excited to be able to offer a new finder and bracket to replace our discontinued 8 x 50 finder. The new finder, a 10 x 60 Baader Planetarium Vario-Finder with a newly designed Astro-Physics Quick Release Finder Bracket (Vario-Finder with Bracket Assembly - 1060VQ), is an erect-image finder that uses a 45° prism.
- December 10, 2010. We have several new mounting plate and accessory options
for your consideration:
16" Easy-Balance Dovetail Saddle Plate for the D-Series Style Plate - 900, 1200, 3600GTO, Mach1GTO (DOVELM162) - This popular saddle plate now has 3 clamps, which allows you to use shorter D-Series Style Dovetail Plates such as our 12" version (SBD12).
Dovetail Plate for D-Series Style Saddle Plate (SBD16) -
This dovetail plate sets a new standard with its universal appeal for Takahashi,
StellarVue, TMB, APM, AstroTech, TeleVue, Astro-Physics and other telescopes.
Adapter Blocks for the 16" Versatile Dovetail Plate, set of 2 (SBDAPB) -
For those of you who would like to mount a guidescope on a second pair of
"floating" rings, the SBD16 coupled with this set of adapter blocks
is the ideal solution.
Adapter Blocks for the 16" Versatile Dovetail Plate,
set of 2 (SBDTB) -
If you have a Takahashi Mewlon, BRC or FRC scope that you wish to use on a D-Series
Dovetail, use these blocks on the SBD16 Saddle Plate described above.
Saddle Plate for PlaneWave 7.625" Dovetail Plates (DOVEPW) - 3600GTO and 1200GTO -
This saddle plate is a must if you plan to mount a PlaneWave Instruments 20" or
CDK on the 3600GTO mount or the 17" CDK on any of our 1200 mounts. The 4-clampdown
knobs and robust construction of this plate will provide a solid base for these
Our new 27" Dovetail Plate (SB3627) for the 3600GTO is similar to the 22" version (SB3622), however the additional 5" of length makes it a great choice for extra-long instruments or side-by-side configurations.
If you use your Fluorite
Flatfield Converter (BPFFC) or 2" Convertible
Photo-Visual Barlow (BARCON), support your imaging train more securely with
2.7" Extension with Internal T-thread (A3511). The internal T-thread on this
extension allows you to attach your BPFFC, BARCON or other accessory with male
T-threads INSIDE the 2.7" extension tube. In this way, the camera, filter wheel,
off-axis guider, and/or other accessories are all supported by the much more
robust and rigid 2.7" tube system, and the Barlow only needs to support its own
weight inside the extension tube.
to SBIG STL Camera Adapter (ADA35STL) - This adapter was designed for the
3.5" focuser that is provided on our 305mm
- August 2, 2010. The new products just keeping rolling off the production line at Astro-Physics! If you have ever wished to keep your polar alignment scope stored in your mount, you will be interested in our Polar Alignment Scope Covers for 400, 900, and 1200 mounts (Q9700, Q12700).
We are also introducing a batch of covers for 2.7" drawtubes, field flatteners, and various accessories. Although the Felted Cover (A1226F) and the Threaded Cover (A1225) for Astro-Physics 2.7" Field Flatteners have been shipping with all newly purchased flatteners since summer 2009, we are pleased to offer them as a set (CSET27FF) for those of you who had previously purchased a flattener before then. These covers are also sold individually as replacements for those that have been lost or damaged.
Another cover recently made available is the Threaded Cover for AP 2.7" Drawtubes, Adapters and Accessories with Female Threads (A1005). This cover can thread directly into any part which has the Astro-Physicsí standard 2.7" female thread, including all versions of our 2.7" and Traveler focusers. For a list of compatible accessories, please review our Accessory Reference Chart for 2.7" Threaded Covers.
We now also have the R.A. Sight Hole Covers for 400, 900 and 1200 mounts (M12666 or M9403) available for purchase on our website for anyone who might need a replacement. Be sure to review the specifications on the product page to insure you get the right part!
- June 7, 2010.
Itís a beautiful, clear night, and you have a dilemma: what scope to use? The Gran Turismo? The 140? Your 10" Mak-Cass? Well now you can mount two scopes at one time! Astro-Physics is happy to introduce our two Side-by-Side Plates for the D-Series Saddle (SBD13SS, SBD16SS). Available in both 13" and 16" lengths, these plates allow you to mount a variety of instruments at the same time.
If you have asked us what is available for your instrument with a Vixen-style bar, we have a solution for you too. We are pleased to now offer a 12" Vixen Dovetail Coverter for D-Series Saddle Plates (SBD2V). With a D-Series dovetail on the bottom and dual clamp Vixen-Style dovetail channel on the top, this plate expands your instrument options on the top of our equatorial mounts.
- March 2, 2010. We have now added the Icron USB 2.0 Ranger® 2104 to our line of computer connectivity products. This high-speed USB extender provides 4 USB ports at the mount, true high-speed USB 2.0 data transfer (up to 480 Mb/s), isochronous data transfer (for SBIG and other CCD cameras), and a range of up to 100 meters (330 feet). Unlike many other solutions, these units will NOT slow down image download speeds significantly, and they will NOT introduce timing errors into guider software commands.
- February 26, 2010. For those of you who have been waiting for our reconfigured polar alignment scopes, you'll be happy to know that they are here! The Polar Alignment Scope with LED Illuminator (PASILL4L) is now available for shipment. Check out the differences between this and previous versions by reading this page. If you need a replacement LED for an earlier version of the polar alignment scope, take a look at our new LED Cable for Polar Alignment Scope (CABLED). Be sure to also check out the optional AstroElectric Polar Scope Dimmer Controller (AEDIM). This handy battery pack is convenient for those instances when you don't want to illuminate the reticle from the mount and has a built-in dimmer function.
- January 29, 2010. Astro-Physics now has the latest edition of Massimo Riccardi's ATMOS Optical Design and Analysis Software, version 8.5 (ATMOS85) available. Special pricing is available for original, registered owners of previous ATMOS versions. If you are interested in optical design, this is a great way to learn more during dreary cloudy nights.
- December 8, 2009. Tony Hallas' 3-disc E-Z CCD DVD Instructional Video set (EZCCD) is an invaluable asset in the astro-imagers tool box. Learn from an astrophotography pioneer his tricks and techniques on how to get the most from your CCD data. What better way to beat the winter blahs than by finally finding time to process all those images from summer!
- October 22, 2009. We have added a few products to our Special Deals webpage. Here's an opportunity to get perfectly usable Astro-Physics accessories that just didn't pass our merciless quality control inspectors. And at a discount, no less! Hurry, these products are only available in limited quantities and when they are gone....
- July 8, 2009. We are pleased to announce the availability of an Adapter to use our 2.7" focuser (A1025-B). For more information about the appropriate applications for this product, please click here.
- May 8, 2009. Astro-Physics is pleased to announce the release of the highly versatile adapter for larger Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrains. The 2.7" Adapter that Threads onto larger Celestron SCT's with 3.25" rear cell (ADASCTLC27), like its sister adapter for the larger Meades, allows Celestron owners to reduce their 3.25" visual back to use smaller accessories. Virtually any accessory from 2.7" diameter on down in size can be used with this adapter.
- February 26, 2009. If your interests lean toward higher powers and closer images with your film or DSLR camera, then you will be interested in our new Eyepiece Projection Camera Adapter (EPCT). This two piece unit accepts eyepieces up to 1.5" in outer diameter. Available with or without a specific camera T-ring.
- February 17, 2009. We are pleased to introduce a new design to an already versatile product: the 16" Easy-Balance Dovetail Saddle Plate for the 900, 1200, and Mach1GTO Mounts and Losmandy D Series Plate (DOVELM162). This saddle plate provides for eight possible offset positions, allowing you to find the "best possible" orientation for typically heavy and difficult-to-balance instruments (like the C14) or setups with weighty imaging packages. Smaller, wrench-locked knobs make this plate able to be attached in tandem to our 22" Dovetail Sliding Bar for the 3600GTO (SB3622) mount as well without interference. So if your setup is getting bigger and harder to balance, this might just be the plate for you!
- December 15, 2008. The SLR Camera Adapter with Large 1.875" Diameter Canon EOS Bayonet (35mm and digital) for use with 160 Field Flattener and 160 and 155 Telecompressor Correctors (ADATCCEOS) is now available. This adapter allows those of you with the 160 Field Flattener (160FF) and the 160 and 155 Telecompressor Corrector (160TCC & 155TCC) to take full advantage of the large sensor chips in the latest Canon DSLR's and to fully cover 35 mm film. This adapter provides the ideal spacing that these optics require.
- September 2, 2008. Our product line continues to grow as we introduce several
items to our customers today. The first is the 2.7" to 6x7 Outer Bayonet Adapter
(ADA2767). Increase the versatility of your set-up by connecting your SBIG
STL camera or other full-frame DSLR directly to your 2.7" focuser or any accessory
having the female Astro-Physics 2.7" thread, including the Photographic-Visual Telecompressor (27TVPH).
Similarly, two new adapters to attach SBIG STL series CCD cameras to the Astro-Physics
2.7" and 4" Field Flatteners (ADA671 - for cameras with the 8 position filter
wheel, and ADA672 - for the standard color filter wheel) are now available.
Designed to reduce vignetting and permit easy framing of your images, these
adapters can be used in a number of different applications. Be sure to review
the various technical documents linked in the adapter's product description.
- August 29, 2008. We are pleased to announce we've expanding our offering of
Kendrick dew removal products. You now have your choice of three different
controllers: the DigiFire7
(KDRDF7), the Premier
Controller Package (KDRPCP), and the Premier
Deluxe Controller Package (KDRPCPDX). There are some splendid accessories
available for these units, including Remote
Control Software (KDRPCPS) and a variety of temperature sensors. We are
also carrying the bino-heater
for eyepieces 1.5" and larger (KDRB20).
- August 27, 2008. Production of the 3600GTO
German Equatorial is in full swing as well as the new accessories designed
to complement the mount. These include:
Switch System for the 3600GTO (36LSS)
Encoder System for the 3600GTO (36PES)
30 lb. (13.6 kg) Counterweight for the 3600GTO (30SCWT)
22" Dovetail Saddle Plate for the 3600GTO (DOVE3622)
Dovetail Sliding Bar (SB3622)
Surface Adapter for the 3600GTO (3600FSA)
Counterweight Shaft Extension for the 3600GTO (M3655)
- August 13, 2008. We have added some filters to the line of Baader
Planetarium filters that we carry. Astute Astro-Physics website watchers
may have already noticed these on our pricelist for several days, but we now
have the full descriptions and technical information up on our website. Included
in our new filter offerings are a set of 2" color filters and special
filters for narrowband imaging. The narrowband filters are available in 50.8
mm round unmounted configuration for a variety of color filter wheels including
those for the SBIG STL series of CCD cameras.
- August 7, 2008. And they are gone! Our anticipated allotment of the Zeiss
Abbe II Eyepiece Sets have all been spoken for at this time. If you didn't
get your order in and are still interested in these oculars, please give us
a call. We will maintain a short list of individuals wishing to purchase in
the event of a cancellation or additional supply.
- August 6, 2008. For those of you who have been anxiously anticipating the
release of the Zeiss
Abbe II Eyepiece Set, the end is in sight - crystal clear sight! This
extraordinary, four-piece set is now available for pre-order in extremely
limited quantities. Produced by Carl Zeiss Jena in a small run exclusively
for Baader Planetarium, we are pleased to offer these prized oculars to our
customers. What a wonderful addition to your eyepiece collection.
Also available is the new Carl
Zeiss 2x Abbe Barlow lens. When paired with the new oculars, this lens
effectively doubles the telescope focal length.
If you are considering using these eyepieces with a binoviewer,
plan on purchasing two sets right away. We don't anticipate they'll be in
stock for very long!
- July 31, 2008. For those of you considering a TeleVue telescope with an
Astro-Physics mount, you'll be glad to know that we now have a TV friendly
sliding bar! The newly redesigned 10"
Sliding Bar (SB1000) now has an additional countersunk hole and adjustable
slot for the NP-127is, as well as other scopes that might use a similar ring
- June 17, 2008. We are pleased to report that the Tele
Vue 8mm Ethos eyepieces have arrived. The smaller sibling of the highly
praised 13mm Ethos are waiting for you to show them first light. In addition
to matching the performance standards of the 13mm, the new version is also
parfocal in 1¼" focusers with a number of the other Tele Vue eyepiece
series. Its smaller diameter also makes it a natural for bino-viewing.
- June 16, 2008. Soft-sided
carrying cases (C0031) for the EAGLE6
pier are available. Lightweight, sturdy - these handsome cases are a convenient
way to transport and store your pier.
- June 5, 2008. Many of you who visited us at the North
East Astronomy Forum (NEAF) this past April saw that we were controlling
both the 3600GTO
"El Capitan" and the Mach1GTO
at the same time from a single laptop computer with NO built in serial ports.
USB / Serial products that we were using couldn't quite compete with the
f12.5 Maksutov Cassegrain with Carbon Fiber Tube for sheer WOW factor,
but many visitors to our booth were still very impressed with the performance
of these little electronic gems. Because of the positive response, we are
now offering several Keyspan products for sale including two
USB to Serial Adapters (USB1P & USB4P) and a USB Server (USB1S4P)
as well as a 15
foot straight-through serial cable that will work with our mounts.
- May 30, 2008. We are happy to introduce two new accessories geared towards
increasing the versatiliy of your set-up. The first is the Base
for the Quick Release Bracket, Small Radius (QRBASES). While it sounds
like its sister product, the QRBASE,
this base is sized for telescopes with smaller mounting surfaces diameters
(like the new 130mm
f6.3 Gran Turismo). The availability of another size base has required
us to rename some of our visual accessories. We invite you to carefully review
this page for more detailed information.
Our second product is the 12"
Sliding Bar for the Losmandy D Series Style Plates (SBD12). This plate
fits the channel of the Losmandy dovetails while providing a built-in spacer
bar for added clearance of dew shields. Initially designed for the Gran Turismo,
we also made it compatible with our other smaller refractors, including the
f6 StarFire EDFS, the 105mm
f7 Stowaway and even the 90mm
f/5 Stowaway, as well as a variety of other manufacturers' telescopes.
- April 26, 2008. Those of you who were at this year's NorthEast
Astronomy Forum (NEAF) in New York were able get a sneak peek at the new
Maksutov Cassegrain that Roland unveiled. Mounted on the new 3600GTO
"el Capitan" mount, these two items seem made for each other!
In addition to visiting with Marj, Roland, and Howard, attendees got to hear
Roland speak on optical design. Stay tuned for more pictures and information
about this event.
- January 29, 2008. We are introducing two new adapters for customers who
wish to mix Astro-Physics and Losmandy mounting products. We have an adapter
that allows an Astro-Physics 400, 600, Mach1GTO or 900 to be used on the popular
Losmandy HD series tripods as well as on the Losmandy MA Meade Field Tripod
We also have an adapter so that owners of the Losmandy G11 mount can use Astro-Physics
Tripods, 6" Portable Piers or the 6" Eagle Adjustable Folding Pier
To complete the picture, we also now offer the Losmandy Knob Set (LTKS).
- October 26, 2007. With the opening of the Advanced
Imaging Conference in San Jose today, we are delighted to announce the
unveiling of a truly impressive new German Equatorial Mounting: the 3600GTO,
nicknamed "el Capitan" for its solid, rock-like stability. The
3600GTO will be the new flagship of our mount lineup, with almost double the
capacity of the 1200 series mounts! This mount is sure to become a favorite
of imagers and observers wielding large astronomical instruments for truly
critical work. The prototype 3600GTO mount will soon be taking its place in
C in Antarctica (follow the link and scroll down to "Astro-Physics
place) where it will carry on in the research begun with several of our 900
and 1200 mounts. Full scale production will begin soon and will depend to
a large extent on the response from the astronomical community at large.
- October 5, 2007. We are pleased to announce that a selection of Tele Vue
products are now available to order through our website. You can visit the
Vue Eyepiece and Accessories page to view the items that we currently
For many years, Astro-Physics has made Tele Vue's fine oculars and finders
available for our customers on request. With the introduction of the new 13mm
Ethos eyepiece and the 13/13 celebration under way, we decided now was the
right time to give them their own page. For 13 weeks, from October 1st through
December 28th, all TeleVue eyepieces (except the Ethos, of course) are available
for 13% off our regular list price. And donít forget that the cost of insured,
standard shipping is included in our prices.
Our first shipment of the Ethos eyepieces sold out shortly after we announced
that we would be offering them! Now is a great time to get these highly praised
oculars ordered or on your holiday wish list.
- September 6, 2007. Those of you who saw our NEAF
2007 report (also see below) know that the next telescope in the Astro-Physics
production pipeline is the 140mm
f7.5 StarFire EDF. This instrument has been listed on our products page
as a "prototype," but we are thrilled to announce that it is a mere
prototype no longer! An expanded webpage is now available with more product
details and sample images, and the optional
4" Field Flattener (S155EDFFF) has been added to the website as well.
Please link to the notification
update page for details on the notification process for these telescopes.
- August 1, 2007. We are thrilled to announce that for the first time in recent
German Equatorial Mounts are now available for immediate ordering WITHOUT
going onto the notification
list. The plant expansion, investment in new equipment and the hiring
of some outstanding craftsmen in both our machining and assembly departments
have made this possible. The few remaining available units will probably sell
out pretty quickly, but just having made it this far is reason for celebration.
Now, if we could only find another Roland or two . . .
- July 26, 2007. A new version of Massimo Riccardi's wonderful telescope design
8.0, is now available. Roland has spent the last week giving his favorite
optical software a thorough test drive, and like the previous version, ATMOS
8.0 is a winner! If you ever wanted to become an optical wizard, or if you
just want to play around and learn something in the process, ATMOS 8.0 is
perfect for you, and it's amazingly affordable for such a powerful and highly
specialized piece of software.
- July 2, 2007. Two new adapters have entered the Astro-Physics product line.
First is an SLR
Camera Adapter with Large 1.875" Diameter Canon EOS Bayonet (67RLEOS).
This SLR Camera Adapter for Canon auto-focus 35mm and digital EOS SLR cameras
with its large 1.875" (47.6 mm) inside-diameter EOS bayonet minimizes
vignetting on full frame chips and on 35 mm film by eliminating the restrictive
1.5" (38 mm) diameter standard T-thread interface. It is designed exclusively
for use with the Astro-Physics Prime Focus 2.7" and 4" Field Flatteners
(except for the 160FF). The second item is a
2.7" Adapter that threads onto the 3.25" back of 10" and
larger Meade SCT’s (ADASCTLM27). This 2.7" threaded back allows
the use of Astro-Physics 2.7" accessories with the big Meade SCT’s.
The accessory back was designed primarily to accept the popular 0.75x,
2.7" Photo-Visual Telecompressor (27TVPH), but it will accept many
other 2.7" accessories as well.
- June 19, 2007. Our new Counterweight
Shafts Options page is now up on the website. The page details the newer
style 1.875" diameter shafts that all use the Counterweight
Shaft Safety Stop (M12676) with its machined, one-piece, washerless design.
These shafts can also take advantage of the 9.25"
extension (M12675) to accommodate heavier loads. Of particular interest
to many is the optional 10.7"
shaft for the Mach1GTO (M1053-A). This shaft can be stowed inside
the mount's declination axis for a compact travel package.
In addition to the shafts outlined above, the page also lists all of the other
shaft options currently available for Astro-Physics mounts, including the
and older style 1.125" diameter shafts. All of these shafts require
Knob and Washer, and these parts are also featured on the page.
Finally, we have also added the new 5
lb. Counterweight for 1.875" diameter shafts (5SCWT) to our lineup.
Although this counterweight was envisioned to be used with the Mach1GTO
(with the optional 10.7" shaft), it can be used with any mount with a
1.875" diameter shaft to balance lighter loads - perfect for those times
that you pop a small instrument on your 900 or 1200 series mount.
- June 2, 2007. We had some delays, but we are now ready to offer the 6"
Pier / Tripod accessories that many of you have been waiting for. The accessories
Box Adapter (CBAPT) for fastening a GTOCP2 or GTOCP3
control box directly to your pier or tripod. (This adapter cannot be used
with a GTOCP1.)
Support Bar (TRAYSB1) for all of our accessory trays. This support bar
allows trays to be used (some limitations apply) with our 6"
Astro-Physics Portable Piers, our Adjustable
Aluminum Tripod (SDS400) and our Adjustable
Wood Tripod (AWT000) and provides a wealth of mounting options for the
Eagle Adjustable Folding Pier (EAGLE6). The Single-Level Support Bar can
also be used with our 8" and 10" Portable Piers and with the ATS
line of piers.
6" Accessory Tray (TRAY06) with solid flat bottom and raised sides
so that small items won't roll off in the dark
Eyepiece Accessory Tray (TRAY06H) with cutouts for two 2" eyepieces
and three 1.25" eyepieces.
In addition to the sections on each individual item linked above, we have
prepared a Guidelines
Page that details the various options and restrictions that apply to the
accessories with different tripod / pier and mount configurations and an Examples
Page with some pictures of some "dream setups" with a Mach1GTO
mount and a 6" Eagle Adjustable Folding Pier set up at each of its possible
heights. Take a look and explore the possibilities!
- May 4, 2007. Check out our NEAF
report and photos of our new 130
mm f6.3 StarFire EDF and 140
mm f7.5 StarFire EDF triplet refractors.
- April 30, 2007. Those of you who were at this year's NorthEast
Astronomy Forum (NEAF) in New York were not only able to visit with Marj
and Roland, you also got a first look at two new prototype telescopes that
Roland was "officially" unveiling. The first to be made available
is the 140
mm f7.5 StarFire EDF which we expect to have out this summer. The second
instrument, due out in late 2007 or early 2008 is the 130
mm f6.3 StarFire EDF which comes apart for packing into an overhead compartment
sized case. More information will be posted as it becomes available.
- March 17, 2007. Original 160 f7.5 StarFire EDF owners will know that two
of these three products aren't quite brand new, but we are now offering them
to all 160 owners as well as the third item, which is brand new. These are
Imaging Optics for the 160 f7.5 StarFire EDF and the 155 f7 StarFire EDF
(with the 4" Giant Focuser). First is the 160
f7.7 Prime Focus Field Flattener (160FF). This superb optic continues
the tradition of dedicated instrument-specific field flatteners that we have
produced for our large fast focal ratio refractors with the 4" Giant
Focuser. One difference is that this Field Flattener was specifically designed
with the newer large format CCD chips in mind (rather than 6x7 film cameras).
Next are two Telecompressor Correctors: The 160
f5.7 Telecompressor Corrector (160TCC) was developed first, and was so
impressive that a modified version was also created for the 155 - the 155
f5.3 Telecompressor Corrector (155TCC). All three of these optics use
created to provide the critical optic / CCD chip distance when used with SBIG's
most popular imaging cameras. At present, only the SBIG cameras listed on
the linked page are supported.
- March 8, 2007. It's Official! The premier of the Astro-Physics
segment on John Ratzenberger's Made in America television show will be
on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 at 8 pm central time (9 pm et / pt) on the Travel
Channel. Details are available by clicking the link above and by clicking
the following link to the Made
in America Website.
- February 9, 2007. We have added the 900
Hi-Lo Latitude Wedge Assembly (900WDGA) to our product line. The Wedge
by itself (900WDG) has been available for many years, but we are now offering
it complete with Pier Knobs, hardened washers, center pivot screw and Azimuth
Adjuster Block. Like the Wedge by itself, the 900 Wedge Assembly includes
the six mounting screws and washers. I think I hear Tahiti calling ...
- February 7, 2007. A little late for the wicked cold spell of the past few
days, but we are now offering Astro-Physics
Embroidered Knit Caps (APCAPW) to keep you warm while out observing on
these cold winter nights. These caps are stylish, comfortable, warm and a
- February 6, 2007. We have expanded the Accessory Tray lineup for our Astro-Physics
Portable Piers by adding two new Eyepiece Accessory Trays, one for 8"
piers (TRAY08H) and one for 10"
piers (TRAY10H). The 8" version features four 2" and three 1.25"
eyepice holes, while the 10" version has five 2" and six 1.25"
eyepiece holes. Like their solid siblings, these trays are beautifully machined
out of a solid block of aluminum and black anodized for a rich and durable
finish. We have also streamlined the Tray
Support Bar (TRAYSB) to make it more versatile, especially when used with
Eagle Adjustable Folding Pier. There will also be two new 6" trays
(TRAY06) and (TRAY06H) and a short single level support bar (TRAYSB1) available
this month as well as a mounting bracket for the GTOCP2 or GTOCP3
control boxes, making this a truly versatile system.
- January 10, 2007. 1200 owners (all vintages) who wish to use their mounts
in the tropics or in the extreme polar regions can now purchase either the
Hi-Lo Latitude Wedge (1200WDG) or the complete Wedge Assembly (1200WDGA).
This heavy duty accessory allows 1200 mounts to be polar aligned at any latitude
from 0 to 22 or from 68 to 90 degrees. Observers between +/- 22 degrees latitude
will use the wedge in its low configuration while intrepid polar observers
can convert it to the high position in a matter of a minute or two. By adding
Flat Surface Adapter (1200FSA) on top, this versatile wedge can also be
used with the 1200
Precision Adjust Rotating Pier Adapter (1200RPA) for simplified polar
alignment in the field. The Wedge Assembly comes complete with 4 Lock Knobs
with washers, an Azimuth Adjuster Block, and Center Pivot Screw. Both the
Wedge alone and the Wedge Assembly come with the six mounting screws with
washers. Why, it's enough to make a person want to move to Barbados!
- January 2, 2007. HAPPY NEW YEAR! The 6" Eagle Adjustable Folding
is now being made available to the general public. This beautifully machined
work of art was designed with the travelling imager in mind and is the perfect
companion to the Mach1GTO.
The 6" Eagle will, of course, also support the 400, 600 and
600E mounts in grand style. The pier is adjustable from 24" to 44"
in height (with the optional 8" Extension (EAGLE6E8))
and allows leveling the mount over a grade of about 6 1/2 degrees. It folds
into a package 32" long and 12" in diameter for easy transport.
- December 20, 2006. Our new Astro-Physics
Embroidered Ballcaps with our custom stitched logo are the first of several
forthcoming clothing and accessoriy items to be offered. Keep an eye on the
and Personal Accessories Page for future developments!
- December 7, 2006. All eyepieces are now sold out. We do not have any information
regarding future shipments at this time and we are not accepting additional
orders until another shipment is received. Thank you for your interest.
- December 6, 2006. We have a limited quantity of 6mm, 8mm 10mm and 12mm Super
Planetary Eyepieces available. Limit one per person. You must call to order,
they are not available online. We do not have any 4mm or 5mm eyepieces in
stock and are not accepting new orders at this time.
- November 3, 2006. The heavy duty 15 volt power supply (PS15V10AC)
that customers have been requesting is now available. This unit is custom-made
for Astro-Physics and converts standard 120 volt 60 Hz AC household current
to 15 volts (+/- 0.05 volts) DC at 10 amps. This rugged supply is a solid
state electronically regulated power source with built in protection circuitry
that safeguards both the power supply and the connected equipment. Its ripple
spec is less than 5 mV peak to peak at full load. It is especially adept at
handling less than ideal input voltage from your household wiring. The power
supply comes with an adapter cable that provides a cigarette lighter receptacle
for your mount's power cord.
- July 19, 2006. Astro-Physics is proud to announce the addition of two Premium
Binoculars for Astronomical Observing to our product line. Roland's search
for the ideal astronomical binoculars is finally over. We are currently offering
two models of 70mm instruments: a 10.5 X 70 (PB105X70) and a 15 X 70 (PB15X70).
These rugged, military-spec binoculars have the optical performance that our
discriminating customers have come to expect. From the high-tech multicoatings
to the oversize BAK4 prisms, no corners were cut on these quality instruments.
A locking case, objective and eyepiece lens caps, a sturdy strap, and a heavy
duty tripod adapter are all included, and at a price that is remarkably affordable
for such feature-rich, high-quality binoculars.
- July 1, 2006. You've been asking for it. The new Astro-Physics
Optical Cleaning System (OPTCS) is here, and it is turning into a really
hot item! Optical cleaning is one of those things that we all want to avoid,
if possible. But if we must clean our precious optics, we want to do the delicate
job right. The Optical Cleaning System consists of three parts: Baader Optical
Wonder™ Fineoptical Cleaning Fluid, Purosol™
Enzyme Optical Molecular Lens Cleaner and Lint-Free Professional Optical Cleaning
instructions are included to help you with this critical task.
New software has also been added to the Astro-Physics product line. AtmosFRINGE
Interferogram Analysis Software is another wonderful program from Massimo
Riccardi, an Italian amateur astronomer and telescope maker. It is a perfect
complement to his powerful ATMOS 7.5 Optical Design and Analysis Software.
(New version 7.5 was also just released - see original v.7.0 product announcement
from March, 2004 below) Now you can not only design the perfect astronomical
instrument, you can do a complete data analysis of your optics after testing
them with a laser interferometer.
- June 22, 2006. A new Counterweight
Shaft System for 900 and 1200 mounts is the latest addition to the Astro-Physics
product line. The new 19.5" Counterweight Shaft (M12601-C), 9" Counterweight
Shaft Extension (M12675)
and one-piece washerless Safety Stop (M12676)
add a new level of convenience and versatility to the weighty subject of balancing
your 900 or 1200 mount. A 14" shaft for the 900 will also be produced
- April 10, 2006. New PEMPro
release! Ray Graylak of Sirius Imaging and the good folks at CCDWare announce
the release of PEMPro v.1.6. This is a significant release for PEMPro as it
adds support for many new mounts and provides a host of new features and improvements.
This is the full version and is a free upgrade for registered users of PEMPro
In addition, Ray is making a beta version of the PEMPro
AP Special Edition v.1.6 available to owners of newer AP 900GTO and 1200GTO
mounts that had the original PEMPro AP SE included. IMPORTANT:
Before you download, remember that this version is ONLY for those who have
received a new AP1200GTO or AP900GTO with a PEMPro AP SE license key. It is
also a beta release - not yet fully tested. However it is based on the exact
same code base as the full version of PEMPro so we anticipate that it will
- January 14, 2006. Rumors have been flying faster than a comet at perihelion
about our new mount that will replace the 400GTO and 600EGTO. The new mount
has now reached the stage where it is time to make the announcement official.
We would therefore like to introduce the Mach1GTO!
This mount is a beauty and is the perfect "little brother" to our
It may be smaller, but it is every bit as sophisticated. It uses the same
GTOCP3 Servo Control Box as its bigger siblings and is driven by the same
superb Swiss servo motors. Design goals emphasized compactness, light weight,
rigidity and precision. We are delighted with the way these goals were met.
We will be using the notification lists for the 400GTO and 600EGTO to offer
these mounts for sale when they are produced. People on those lists will soon
be receiving a form in the mail to fill out and return if they are interested
in the Mach1GTO. Production is scheduled to begin in February with
the first deliveries in the summer of this year. We will be posting more information
and pictures as they become available.
- December 14, 2005. Along with the current production run of 900GTO mounts
and the upcoming production run of 1200GTO mounts, there have been some improvements
made to the adapters that attach each mount to the pier or tripod being used.
The most significant of these are the Precision-Adjust Rotating Pier Adapters:
for the 900GTO and 1200RPA
for the 1200GTO. These Precision-Adjust Rotating Pier Adapters allow easy
azimuth adjustment without ever loosening the Pier Adapter Knobs. (They rotate
through the mount's azimuth adjustment range - they don't spin in circles!)
The Precision-Adjust Rotating Adapters are especially suited to portable setups
as they reduce polar alignment frustration by several orders of magnitude!
Since the Precision-Adjust Rotating Pier Adapters cannot be mounted to a flat
surface by themselves, we also developed a Flat Surface Adapter for each to
allow using the Precision-Adjust Rotating Pier Adapters in custom installations:
Both Flat Surface Adapters can also be used with their respective Standard
Pier Adapter (900SPA
give a more finished look to your setup. As an added bonus, the 900FSA will
also allow the use of the 900
Hi-Lo Latitude Wedge (900WDG) in custom installations.
- September 27, 2005. The Feather Touch Micro Dual-Speed Upgrade (4FTMU) is
now available for our 4" Focuser. Please read the information carefully
to determine if yours can be upgraded. If not, we offer several configurations
of our 4" Giant Focuser and associated adapters and extension:
- Feather Touch Micro Upgrade for Astro-Physics 4" Focusers
- Astro-Physics 4" Focuser
- Astro-Physics 4"Focuser with Feather Touch Micro 9:1 Dual-Speed
- Astro-Physics 4"Focuser with Feather Touch Micro 9:1 Dual-Speed, without
- Astro-Physics 4"Focuser without Adapters
A1024 - 2.7" Adapter for 4" Focuser
A1024-A - Short 2.7" Adapter for 4" Focuser
4FOCEXT - Extension with Brass Locking Ring for 4" Focuser
- August 19, 2005. The first redesigned 900GTO
German Equatorial Mounts of the current production run are nearly completed
and we expect to begin shipping them in September. These mounts have a number
features similar to the advancements we made to the 1200GTO in 2004 in
addition to improvements in the declination axis and other refinements. It
will also include the newest GTOCP3 Control box and be shipped with PulseGuide
software CDs, written by Ray Gralak. We are pleased that many of the new mechanical
features of this mount are also available as upgrades to previous models of
the 900GTO. Check out our new 900
Mount Upgrades and Spare Parts for these items.
- December 6, 2004. PEMPro,
the most advanced periodic correction software, is now available for all Astro-Physics
mounts with PEM (Permanent Error Memory). This includes all GTO mounts, as
well as QMD mounts featuring the Quartz Micro-Drive Controller. PEMPro is
short for Periodic Error Management Professional. It is a Windows software
application that makes it very easy to characterize and reduce the periodic
error of your mount. We will include PEMPro with the current production run
of 1200GTO mounts and all future 1200GTO and 900GTO mounts. In addition, we
will provide an evaluation copy to all of the people who received their 1200GTO
earlier this year and all people who purchased the GTOCP3 control box. PEMPro
was written by Ray Gralak of Sirius-Imaging, a dedicated 1200GTO user and
talanted CCD imager, and is distributed through CCDWare.
- October 27, 2004. Every few years, we update our various telescope models
with new features, taking advantage of advancements in technology. The first
of our redesigned refractors is our new 160mm
f7.5 StarFire EDF. This new refractor is a multi-coated triplet, air-spaced
apochromat that uses the latest in multi-coating technology with the highest
grade of optical glass to achieve exceptional image brightness and color correction.
Mechanical enhancements include a 4" greaseless focuser with Rotating Collar
(FeatherTouch dual-speed knobs available as an option) and sliding dewcap
with baffle to prevent dew and block stray light. A 4" Prime Focus Field Flattener
and Flat-Field Telecompressor at f5.75 will be available. These new accessories
were designed specifically for this scope for maximum performance whether
your interest is medium format or 35mm film photograpy or CCD imaging with
the latest camera.
- April 26, 2004. The 2.7" and Traveler focusers are now available in the
Feather Touch Micro edition. This focuser offers a greaseless focuser drawtube
and 9:1 dual-speed focuser knobs. Several different versions are available:
To upgrade Astro-Physics refractors. This version is engraved
This unengraved version is available for telescope makers.
Upgrade your Traveler with this engraved focuser.
If you prefer the standard knobs, but wish to upgrade your Traveler to the
greaseless focuser design, consider our part # TFOC3N.
- April 2, 2004. The
Feather Touch Micro Upgrade (27FTMU) is available for refractors and 2.7"
focusers shipped since July 1, 2001. Please review the information at the
link above to be sure that your focuser can be upgraded.
- March 27, 2004. Italian amateur Riccardo Massimo has
developed an easy to use optical design program, ATMOS (ATMOS7), loaded with
powerful routines and analysis windows to design and evaluate the most advanced
optical systems. It is aimed at amateurs who like to dabble in telescope design
or who just like to explore the world of optics. Starting routines for the
most common and favorite telescope systems makes it easy to design the basic
system in minutes with just a few parameters. A powerful optimization routine
can then be used to vary any number of surfaces to get the most ideal result.
The program comes on a CD and the original purchasers of the software will
be allowed to download upgrades from our website when they become available.
A perfect way to pass the time (and learn something about optics) on those
cold dreary rainy nights.
- March 18, 2004. Astro-Physics is accepting orders for its new line of Super
Planetary Eyepieces available in six focal lengths: 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm,
10mm and 12mm. These superb eyepieces feature a 42 degree field with a field
size of 3.9mm. The broadband multi-layer coatings on each surface are so efficient
that the glass seems to disappear.
- March 17, 2004. The
Feather Touch Micro Upgrade (27FTMU) is available for the 155mm StarFire
EDFS refractors shipped since October 2002. Upgrades for other refractors
and focusers will be available soon.
- February 10, 2004. The new 2004 model of the 1200GTO
German Equatorial is officially introduced today with new information
and photos. If you are interested specifically in the improvements, you can
skip to the 2004
Improvements section. We are pleased that many of the new mechanical features
of this mount are also available as upgrades to previous models of the 1200GTO.
Check out our new 1200
Mount Upgrades and Spare Parts for these items. In the future, we will
prepare a similar page for other mounts. All mount owners can review the new
- Control Box, Keypad, Controllers and Cables section. At this time, most
of the items pertain to the GTO and SMD mounts, however the section will be
expanded to include components from previous mounts. Check back now and then.
Since many of the new sections above refer to previous models of the 1200
mount, we prepared a Brief
History of the 1200 Mount as a reference. Owners of other mounts, may
be able to gain some insight into their own mounts as well. The letter designations
at the end of the mount part numbers indicate the drive system.
- February 7, 2004. We are pleased to offer the custom
2" Desiccant Dust Cap (PWDDC2) from Particle Wave Technologies with Astro-Physics
engraved on the cover. If you live in an area with high humidity, you may
wish to consider this item to absorb excess moisture in your telescope tube
when you are not using it. A flat cover profile was specified so that when
the cap is in place, the scope will fit into the case without adding extra
length or damaging the foam. We provide 6 refills of the desiccant and indicator
packs. As an added benefit, the PWDDC2 is a whole lot classier than our standard
red plug. Will fit any standard 2" opening on any telescope. Consider
one for your diagonal, as well.
- December 22, 2003. We offered and sold out a limited quantity of our new
Super Planetary Eyepiece (SPL050) from the first production run to the
first people who responded to the posting on the ap-ug user group and website.
We expect additional eyepieces to be available in March. We are not planning
to maintain a notification list at this time.
- October 06, 2003. The RoboBracket
provides a solid, secure means of attaching your Robo-Focus
remote focus driver from Technical Innovations. Since it was designed to fit
the Astro-Physics 2.7" and 4" focusers and finished in a quality manner, it
retains the classy appearance of your focuser.
- July 23, 2003. After many months of eager anticipation, we are very pleased
to introduce the new Mark
V Binocular Viewer from Baader Planetarium (BPMARKVS). The new ClickLock
eyepiece clamps and high-transmission coatings are excellent updates to this
exceptional binocular viewer.
- July 17, 2003. Our new compact 0.67x
CCD Telecompressor (CCDT67) was designed for telescopes with a focal length
of f7 to f18 including Maksutov-Cassegrains, Schmidt-Cassegrains, Ritchey-Cretiens,
and refractors. It threads onto the nosepiece of your SBIG CCD imaging camera
and will effectively compress your instrument by 0.67x when a color filter
wheel is used. For instance, your f10 instrument will operate at f6.7, thus
significantly reducing your exposure time. The compression is approximately
0.75x without a Color Filter Wheel. Order yours now for $148.
- July 17, 2003. The product descriptions of the new 16" Dovetail Mounting
(for the 1200) and DOVELM16S
(for the 900) have been improved. Contrary to earlier statements, the 13.5"
Losmandy D series dovetail plates can be used with our 16" plate. This
is particularly useful if you have one scope that uses a 17.25" Losmandy
plate (like a C-11) and a second scope that uses a 13.5" plates (such as our
130 StarFire). You can use both of these Losmandy plates with the DOVELM16
- June 12, 2003. Astro-Physics 2.7"
Focuser with Starlight Instruments Feather Touch Micro. We are very pleased
to offer this dual-speed option as an upgrade (S27FOCFPU) to all focusers
shipped since July 2001 and eventually offer the entire 2.7" and 4" focuser
to all by the end of the year.
- May 22, 2003. Heavy-Duty Azimuth Adjustors are now available as an update
for all 1200 mount models 12AZKIT.
This new one-piece assembly with graduated adjustor knobs will help you to
tweak your precise polar alignment quicker and easier.
- May 13, 2003. If you have a 1200 or 900 mount and use the Losmandy D Series
plates, you will appreciate our new 16" dovetail mounting plates. DOVELM16
(for the 1200) and DOVELM16S
(for the 900) provide a solid base of support for larger scopes that use
the Losmandy plates that are 17.25" or longer. We have also improved the entire
mounting plates section with new photos, expanded information and instruction
- May 23, 2002. We have added lots of new photos of the 105
f6 Traveler EDFS, 130
f6 StarFire EDFS and 155
f7 StarFire EDFS showing these scopes in action with a wide variety of
- May 8, 2002. We are offering two new limited production refractors in this
production run cycle. The 92mm
f7 Stowaway is a longer cousin to the f5 version that we offered several
years ago. At 6.5 lbs, it is a real gem. We are also bringing back the 130mm
f8.35 StarFire EDT for those who favor a longer focal length. As usual,
we will be contacting people who have been on the notification list for these
scopes. See the Notification
Update for further information.
- May 7, 2002. The products section has been reorganized a bit to improve
navigation. We also added a few more photos and updated information. Several
new products have been added that will be of particular interest to CCD imagers.
These include a 2"
adapter with brass locking ring and three large thumbscrews (ADA2003),
and several adapters
to use our 2.7" and 4" Field Flatteners with several popular CCD cameras
(A1260, A1261, A1262).
- May 2, 2002. Check out a few new Special
Deals, especially if you own an 800 mount.
- April 5, 2002. The Advanced
Telescope Systems (ATS) Portable Piers are now available from Astro-Physics.
These piers have been very popular with astrophographers and imagers on the
west coast for a number of years because they offer a very solid platform
for your mount.
If you have two piers for your 1200 or 900 mounts, perhaps one permanent and
one portable, you may wish to purchase an extra Mount Base/Pier Adapter. This
will allow you to quickly switch your mount from one pier to the other.
The 900 Wedge for 0-20 Degrees (part# 900WDG) will allow the 900 mount to
be used from 0-20 degrees latitude - perfect for someone living on or traveling
to the Big Island of Hawaii or other warm and wonderful place. This item has
been on our price list for awhile, but has not been described or pictured.
It is suitable for the 900GTO and all prior 900 models.
- March 14, 2002. Our new Special
Deals section launches today. Check this new link on the side bar (also
shown as our Featured Product on the home page today) to see what overstock,
discontinued or unique products are available as special discount prices.
Quantities are limited.
- February 18, 2002. Introducing a new product, part # AP16, 2"/T-2 Nosepiece
with smooth 2" barrel. This part will allow the Giant Binocular Viewer from
Baader Planetarium to seat properly in the focusers of the TMB and Borg refractors
or with any components that have compression/locking rings. Refer to the Price
List for further information.
- September 10, 2001. Software Bisque released version 5.00.014 update with
a much improved driver for the AP GTO mounts. Upgrade your Level IV, Version
5 copy of TheSky at the support
section of their website. Refer to TheSky
version 5.00.014 Windows Update - AP Driver Features for more information.
- June 23, 2001. We are pleased to offer many new
products from Baader Planetarium including the Fluorite Flatfield Converter
Barlow (FFC) and additional components of the FFC System, 1.25" Colored Filter
Set (6 filters, polished optically flat), and the Moon & Skyglowfilters (1.25"
and 48mm sizes). The filters are on the way from Germany and will be ready
to ship sometime next week. The FFC and related components are due to arrive
- April 5, 2001. Software Bisque recently announced version 5.00.012 Windows
update which includes a driver for the Astro-Physics GTO mount. If you already
own version 5 of TheSky, you can download this upgrade from the support section
of the Software
Bisque website. New features include higher-resolution RA, motion control,
set tracking rates, park (parking available only for GTO Control Box chips
dated 11-13-00 or later). Refer to TheSky
version 5.00.012 Windows Update - AP Driver Features for more information.
- January 17, 2001. A Polar Alignment Scope (PASILL3) has been added to our
product line once again. Over the last few years, we have maintained an in-house
notification list (not available as a choice on the web pulldown notification
list) for people who were interested in polar scopes. Today, we contacted
the people on the list and expect to sell all of the scopes received in our
recent shipment. However, we have placed another order with our supplier which
we hope to receive in the next few months.
- January 11, 2001. Kendrick Astro Instruments is now offering completed,
filters for commonly used telescopes on the market today. These filters
feature the Baader AstroSolar safety film mounted in felt-lined, aluminum
cells with three nylon thumbscrews. We are very pleased that Jim is offering
these completed filters for the convenience and safety of our customers. The
white-light views are remarkable showing fine, filamentary detail in the high-contrast
images. Since we are experiencing solar maximum in the sunspot cycle, now
is the time to enjoy solar astronomy too!
- November 15, 2000. Baader
Planetarium AstroSolar Film was selected as one of Sky & Telescope's 25
Hot Products of 2000. You can either purchase the sheets from us to
make your own filters or, better yet, order complete filters for all popular
telescopes from Kendrick
Astro Instruments. We will offer these filters soon on our website.
- July 19, 2000. Sky & Telescope declared that the Baader
Planetarium AstroSolar Film is now "The New Standard in Solar Filters."
Read all about it in the September 2000 issue, p. 63-64. Our customers have
been very excited about this solar filter material since we introduced it
to the U.S. market one year ago.
- February 18, 2000. Sky & Telescope Review of DigitalSky Voice. Originally
published in the December 1999 issue, you can now read it on-line.
- October 22, 1999. DigitalSky Voice™ software is selected as one of
the 25 Hot Products of 1999 by the editors
of Sky & Telescope magazine. Don't forget
to vote for DSV as your favorite product introduced in 1999. Hint Hint ; )
Cast your ballot by visiting www.skypub.com.
- October 22, 1999. DigitalSky Voice™ software is reviewed by Sky
& Telescope magazine, December issue, pages 66-69. It highlights the "excellent
voice recognition right out of the box" and describes many of the key features.
It's a great review. We couldn't have said it better ourselves.
- September 20, 1999.Products
goes on-line at last. More features coming.
- July 1, 1999. Introduce BAADER
AstroSolar™ white-light solar filter material.
- May 21, 1999. Shipping DigitalSky Voice™ software.
Copyright © 2004 - 2017, Astro-Physics,
Inc. - All Rights Reserved
11250 Forest Hills Road, Machesney Park, IL 61115, U.S.A.
Phone: 815-282-1513 Fax: 815-282-9847