Keypad v5 Database Reload-Java Loader
This database load is only for Keypad version 5.xx firmware.
This Java-based Keypad Loader requires:
- GTOCP4 or GTOCP5 control box with version P02-01 or later version firmware for the loading process. Installing the very latest GTOCP4 firmware is always highly recommended!
- Current version of Java has been installed on your computer.
What version of the database is installed with v5 firmware? The database version is 02.
When is the database loaded? The initial v5 load includes the database as the second step. It does not need to be reloaded unless there is an upgrade, or the database has become corrupt.
How can I tell if the database has become corrupt? If you attempt to slew to a catalog object (Messier, NGC, etc) and your telescope moves to the wrong location or indicates that the object is below the horizon (and you know it is not), you may suspect that the database is corrupt. Check the object information display to see if the catalog values are correct for that object. If the data is not correct, proceed with these instructions.
What causes a corrupt database? The most common cause is a dead battery. In this case, the battery must be replaced before the database is loaded. Batteries typically last 5 years or longer.
If you do not need a database load but wish to upgrade to the most recent keypad firmware version, proceed to the Software Updates tab of our website.
**Check These Before You Start**
- Keypad serial number must be 1565GTO or higher. Older keypads do not have sufficient memory capacity for v5 unless they were upgraded during a repair. If your older keypad serial number is preceded with an “R”, contact Astro-Physics.
- GTOCP4 with version P02-01 firmware or later. This Java Loader can ONLY be used with the GTOCP4 or GTOCP5 control box that has the required firmware. We encourage you to upgrade to the latest version from our Software Updates tab.
- Windows, Mac or Linux computer with Java installed.
- USB or Straight-through serial cable is required. Ethernet and WiFi downloads are not supported at this time for the Keypad updates. If you are using a serial cable, you cannot use a "null modem or crosswired" cable. In recent years, all mounts were shipped with the proper serial cable. If you do not have one, you can order a 15' cable from Astro-Physics. If you must use a USB-to-serial adapter, be sure that it has an FTDI chip. We have also had success with Keyspan adapters. We do not recommend USB to serial adapters with Prolific chips.
- Control box, keypad, power cable and power supply (or battery) are required for the upload. The upload procedure to the keypad requires that the program be routed through the ROM chip in the GTO control box. In order to accomplish this, your control box must be set up with power near your PC. The mount and motor cables are not required.
- User name and password to access the download area of our website. This information was provided in the cover letter shipped with your mount. If you do not have the user name and password, contact Astro-Physics. If your name is not already registered in our GTO database, we will ask for your mount or keypad serial number to assure that you are authorized to access this area of our website. We suggest that you fill out and submit the mount registration form.
Print the instructions at the link below
Download Program to Your Computer
Click on the link below to initiate the download. Make note of the location that the file was stored on your computer. Follow the instructions that you have printed.
Keypad 5.012 (or later) Program and Loader. This includes both the Java Keypad Loader Tool and Keypad Flash Update file as one download file.