BAADER AstroSolar 5.0 Safety Film 500 x 1000mm (19.7" x 39.4") (AS50HM)
Brand : Baader Planetarium
- Limited qty, order as soon as possible.
- FedEx Shipping, sturdy packaging:
- Single or multiple sheets or rolls. Details in description below.
On April 8th, a spectacular solar eclipse will cross the U.S., Mexico and Canada. Although only observers in the eclipse path will experience the wonders of totality, partial phases will be enjoyed across the continent. Solar filters featuring BAADER AstroSolar® Safety Film will allow you to observe or photograph the partial phases with your telescope, binoculars or camera. We are likely to be treated to sunspot activity on April 8th since our sun is at solar maximum. An excellent solar filter will allow you to see the detail in these sunspots and solar surface. You can watch the moon appear to gobble them up during the first phases and then reappear during the final phases.
AstroSolar® Safety Film, Optical Density 5.0, is the ideal material for visual solar filters. Baader Planetarium developed this safety film in anticipation of the 1999 solar eclipse in Europe and it remains unsurpassed for safety and visual quality to this day.
When using AstroSolar® Safety Film 5.0 – mounted in front of your optics – you can image the Sun and safely look through the viewfinder of your camera – or you can directly look into the Sun with telescopes and binoculars at any suitable magnification. The diffraction-limited performance ensures that your image quality remains excellent so that you can discern fine surface details of the sun.
The coating of AstroSolar® Safety Film 5.0 is subject to constant quality control. Its reflective property and security for solar observation through optical instruments is being tested repeatedly.
AstroSolar® Safety Film 5.0 reduces the intensity of solar radiation by 99,999% to a factor of 1 : 100 000 of the initial value. Multiple coating processes on both sides of the carrier film are adding up during production to result in a perfectly uniform filtering result and help in neutralizing the effect of microscopic pores in the coating hat plague conventional glass solar filters which are commonly only coated on one side of the glass.
Important note: AstroSolar® Safety Film 5.0 is NOT authorized to be used for naked eye solar observation or production of solar viewers. Look for solar eclipse glasses that comply with the ISO 12312-2:2015 standard for naked eye solar viewers
AstroSolar Safety film sheets are available in two sizes:
BAADER AstroSolar™ Density 5 - Visual, A4 size, 200 x 290mm (7.9" x 11.4")
Each filter is packed in a stiff cardboard mailer with instruction sheets and chipboard for stiffness. As a bonus, the chipboard can used used to make your filter!! Purchase a single filter sheet to make your own filters for binoculars, camera or small telescope or purchase a 5 or 10-pak at a discounted price for a group of people to make filters.
- AS50A4, single sheet
- AS50A4-5, five sheets, packaged individually, shipped together
- AS50A4-10, ten sheets, packaged individually, shipped together
BAADER AstroSolar™ Density 5 - Visual, 1/2 Meter size, 500 x 1000mm (19.7" x 39.4")
Each filter roll and instruction sheets are packed in protective cardboard tube with 0.25" wall thickness within a box to ensure that it arrives safety to your door. Purchase a single roll to make filters for your camera, binoculars and larger telescope all from one roll. Or, order multiple rolls at a discounted price to share with your family or friends. Consider a solar-making activity for your next astronomy club meeting and order your material here. Each roll is individually packaged.
- AS50HM, single roll
- AS50HM-5, five rolls, packaged individually, shipped together
- AS50HM-10, ten rolls, packaged individually, shipped together
Each order will come with these instructions:
Also consider these:
- Completed, ready-to-use solar filters for various instruments from Baader Planetarium and Kendrick Astro Instruments. All of these products use AstroSolar® Safety Film.
- Baader 2" Cool Ceramic Safety Herschel Prism Mark ll, Photographic/Visual System - for Refractors only (BPHERM2P)
- Baader Solar Continuum Filter to your Solar observing arsenal. This 7.5nm filter, when combined with the AstroSolar filter material, gives increased contrast for finer detail in surface features. It is available in 1.25" (BPSC125-7.5) and 2" sizes (BPSC2-7.5). This filter can be used for all phases of the eclipse up to totality.