F/5.7 CCD Telecompressor Corrector for 160f/7.5 StarFire EDF (160TCC)
Brand : Astro-Physics
Discontinued; No Longer Available
- Historical information and alternative recommendation::
- Please refer to the description below.
The 160TCC is no longer available. We suggest the following combination as an alternative:
4" to 3.5" Adapter with Thumbscrews for 4" Focuser to use QUADTCC (ADA435)
0.72x Quad Telecompressor Corrector for AP and TEC 160 Refractors (QUADTCC)
Spacer Ring Set (SRSET-327)
HISTORICAL INFORMATION for 160TCC:
Designed for: 160 mm f/7.5 StarFire EDF
Application: Digital imaging with CCD and DSLR Cameras. Also suitable for video and 35mm film cameras.
This all-new design uses 3 elements of high-index glass to widen and flatten the field while increasing the photographic speed of the 160 f/7.5 StarFire EDF triplet refractor. It is designed to be used with a variety of cameras when matched to the appropriate adapter.
The 160EDF operating at f/5.7 (0.76x compression) is an ideal match for large format cameras. Extreme detail can be captured in very short time thanks to the fast focal ratio. This accessory is a must for H-alpha imaging where speed and resolution allows one to achieve incredible results. Wide-field images will be highly detailed, which allows the astro-imager to make very large prints without doing time-consuming mosaics. Even when enlarged to 30 inches, a single image will still have pinpoint stars across the entire frame. The 160 mm aperture is a giant step up, both in resolution and in light gathering over a 4" wide-field astrograph. The resolution of the 160 mm aperture is close to the limit of what the atmosphere will normally allow, and detail will rival that obtained with instruments twice this size.
Optimal performance depends on these factors:
- The distance of the back of the housing to the image plane must be within 1 mm of ideal (80.8 mm +/- 1 mm). Astro-Physics produces several adapters (listed below). These adapters, when used with their respective cameras provide perfect spacing. Please review the document "0.76x CCD Telecompressor Corrector Spacing Requirements" for more information. Adapters for other cameras can be custom ordered from PreciseParts.
Important: The distance must be the OPTICAL distance - NOT the mechanical distance. Please be sure that you have accounted for the indexing effects of your filters, sensor cover slips and any other glass in the light path.
- A UV-IR filter must be installed in the luminance channel in order to preserve the best possible image resolution into the corners of the large formats. Without this filter, the distance will be incorrect and the luminance image will have slightly different scale factor from the RGB channels. Therefore, the various channels will not register properly. Also, the IR must be filtered out to prevent elongation in the corners of the STL format due to difference in lateral magnification of the longest wavelengths.
Important: the UV-IR filter must match the other filters being used in terms of is effect on the light path. Please check with your filter manufacturer to confirm.
When used with the recommended custom adapters, the image is fully illuminated with the recommended cameras. Only 2" round filters will present a tiny, insignificant amount of vignetting in the very corners.
The 160 CCD Telecompressor Corrector comes with beautifully machined anodized aluminum covers: protection befitting the fine optics.
|Fully Illuminated Circle||2.1" (53 mm)||3.3 degrees|
|KAF-3200||14.9 x 10 mm||0.93 x 0.63 degrees|
|KAF-8300||18.0 x 13.5 mm||1.13 x 0.85 degrees|
|APS-C||22.4 x 14.9 mm||1.4 x 0.94 degrees|
|16803||36.9 x 36.9 mm||2.32 x 2.32 degrees|
|35 mm Full Frame||36 x 24 mm||2.27 x 1.51 degrees|
Chip not listed? The 160TCC yields 3.770 arcminutes per mm of chip.
Choose the Appropriate Adapter for Your Application
- SBIG STL Series Camera with Five-Position Filter Wheel Adapter (ADATCC1)
- Small Cameras with 2" Nosepiece Adapter (ACATCC2)
- SBIG STL Series Camera with Eight-Position Filter Wheel Adapter (ADATCC3)
- QSI’s 500 and 600 series WSG Camera Adapter (A3513-A)
- Canon EOS Wide-Mount Camera Adapter with Stainless Steel Bayonet (ADATCCEOS)
- Nikon Camera Adapter with Stainless Steel Bayonet (ADATCCNIK)
Diagrams and Instructions
- Field Flatteners, TCCs & QUADTCC Imaging Train Options
If you need an adapter that is not listed above, we recommend that you contact PreciseParts. Be sure to review the "0.76x CCD Telecompressor Corrector Spacing Requirements" diagram when designing your adapter.