130mm f6.3 StarFire GTX "Gran Turismo" with 3.5" Focuser (130GTX)
Brand : Astro-Physics
- Refer to Availability tab below
- U.S. packing, shipping & insurance:
- International packing:
- $75 plus shipping and insurance
Astro-Physics introduced the re-imagined "Gran Turismo" at the Northeast Astronomy Forum (NEAF) on April 18, 2015. The triplet lens is the same extraordinary quality that you have come to expect from Astro-Physics.
- 3.5" Astro-Physics focuser - silky smooth with a greaseless drawtube and the dual-speed mechanism of the FeatherTouch 9:1 Micro. The dual-speed feature is particularly advantageous for critically focusing this fast focal ratio. A digital focusing system is available for imaging.
- Rotating focuser "captain's wheel" collar will enable you to frame your images for optimal, artistic composition.
- Optional Quad Telecompressor Corrector converts the Gran Turismo to a blazingly fast 585 mm focal length, f/4.5 imaging machine with pinpoint stars across the field! (QUADTCC-AP130)
- Optional 3.5" Prime Focus Field Flattener. (13035FF)
- Compact, lightweight tube assembly that can be disassembled into two parts to fit into your carry-on luggage. Optional machined aluminum covers are used to close and protect each end of the tube. (T13012 & T13014F-B)
- Fully retractable felt-lined dew shield slides to its fully extended position and then uses a twist-lock feature to secure it in place.
- Latest multi-coating technology will provide optimum light transmission.
As shown above, the 130 StarFire GTX Gran Turismo can be disassembled to fit into a case for airline transport. Note that the optional covers are attached to the components.
The Mach2GTO German Equatorial mount is recommended for visual observation or astro-imaging. The unique quick-and-easy daytime polar-alignment routine makes it ideal when setting up for star parties and public outreach. The intuitive GoTo Keypad serves as a full-featured mini-computer or use a Planetarium program on your PC or Mac computer. You can even control the basic functions of the mount with your mobile smart device. If you already own a Mach1GTO, that's a great fit, as well.
Images below were taken by Roland Christen using the 130 Starfire GTX with the Field Flattener and the Quad Telecompressor Corrector.
Propeller Nebula (DWB-111 and DWB-119) Imaged with SBIG STL-11000 using Field Flattener (13035FF)
12 Panel Mosaic of Cygnus Region. Imaged with SBIG STL-11000 using QUAD Telecompressor Corrector (QUADTCC-AP130)
|Color correction||Less than + - 0.006% focus variation from 706nm to 400nm (red to violet).|
|Clear aperture||130 mm (5.12")|
|Focal length||819 mm (32.25")|
|Theoretical Resolution||0.87 arc seconds|
|Coatings||Multi-layer, broadband, overall transmission greater than 97% in peak visual wavelengths|
|Magnification range||22x to 500x|
|Tube assembly||Cream white, 5.5" diameter, machined aluminum tube, fully baffled, flat black interior, engraved retaining ring. Convertible for travel. Optional covers to protect the lens and tube when it is disassembled.|
|Focuser||3.5 " I.D. Focuser with rotating collar with "captain's wheel", rack and pinion, FeatherTouch Micro 9:1 dual-speed reduction, 4.5" travel; 7.3" backfocus, 2.7", 2" and 1.25" adapters. Focuser drawtube features mm focusing scale.|
|Telescope length||724 mm (28.5") with dew shield fully retracted; 864 mm (34.0") with dew shield fully extended. Optical tube with covers for airline travel is 21.0” (533 mm); focuser with cover and adapters is 11.0" (280 mm).|
|Diameter of dew shield||155 mm (6.1") O.D. including paint thickness, retractable|
|Front thread of dew shield||5.968" x 32 thread, you must remove the trim ring to access|
|Weight with dew shield||18 lbs. (8.2 kg)|
Case details TBD, foam-lined interior.
Specifications subject to change without notice.
|Photographic field at prime-focus with 130 Prime Focus Field Flatteners (13035FF or 67PF562)||Field size: 65 mm diameter, 4.3 degrees
Focal ratio: f/6.7
Focal length: 873 mm
|Photographic field with QUAD Telecompressor Corrector (QUADTCC-AP130)||Field size: 50 mm diameter, 4.9 degrees
Focal ratio: f/4.5 (0.72x)
Focal length: 585 mm
|Photographic field with 2x Barlow||
Field size: 32 mm diameter, 1.2 degrees
- Tube Assembly with 3.5" Focuser, Dew Shield and Dustcover
- 2.7" 2" and 1.25" Adapters
- Carrying Case
Items That You Will Need For Your Scope
- 5.5" Mounting Rings (55RING2)
- MaxBright 2" Mirror Diagonal (PMDMAX)
- Mounting Plate: There are numerous options available depending the mount you are using and whether the mount has a dovetail-style saddle plate. If you need a Losmandy D-Series Style plate, you may want to consider 12" Sliding Bar for Losmandy D-Series Style Plates (SBD12)
Accessories to Consider
- 3.5" Quad Telecompressor Corrector (QUADTCC-AP130)
- 3.5" Prime Focus Field Flattener (13035FF) or the version that was originally designed for the 2.7" focuser (67PF562).
- 10 x 60 Baader Planetarium Vario-Finder with Illuminated Reticle, 45° Erecting Prism, and Quick Release Bracket (1060VQ)
- 10 x 60 Vario-Finder with Quick Release Guider Bracket Kit (1060VGKIT)
- Base for Quick Release Finder Bracket (QRBASEM)
- 2" Advanced Convertible Barlow (BARADV)
- 2.7" Photographic-Visual Telecompressor (27TVPH)
- Flat Field Converter (BPFFC) Barlow and Related Accessories in the FFC System
- Baader Mark V Binocular Viewer (BPMARKVS)
- Baader Cool-Ceramic Safety Herschel Prism (BPHERP)
- Kendrick Dew Remover Premier Heater (KDR005)
- Kendrick Solar Filter for 130mm StarFire GTX with Baader AstroSolar, Density 5-Visual (KS6008-B)
- 130GTX Tube Cover for Focuser End of the Tube (T13012)
- 130GTX Focuser Cover (T13014F-B)
Unfortunately, the 130GTX is not available off the shelf for immediate purchase. Over the years, we have maintained a notification list so that we can notify prospective customers when the scope is available to order. We will continue to utilize this list for future production. However, we are not accepting new names at this time.
On April 2, we began contacting people on the notification list for estimated shipment beginning in September 2020. We will send notifications to people already on the list via email and snail mail. Best of luck to those on this list!