92mm F6.65 Stowaway (92F665)
Brand : Astro-Physics
- Refer to Availability tab below
Astro-Physics introduced the redesigned Stowaway at the Northeast Astro-Imaging Conference on April 18, 2018. Long-time astronomers will recall that we offered f5 and f7 Stowaway refractors from 1999-2002 that are cherished today for their portability and performance. Indeed, our own Stowaway has traveled with us to star-gaze in far off places as well as to watch whales, boats, birds and other wildlife. While observing the solar eclipse in August 2017 from Wyoming, we had so much fun with our original 92 mm Stowaways that we decided to make additional production runs, which were shipped in 2018-2020. The response and feedback has been so positive that that we are in production with a fourth run run of this scope for 2021 delivery.
This triplet lens scope has the same extraordinary quality that you have come to expect from Astro-Physics with a few new exciting features:
- Grab ‘n go visual travel companion. Follow eclipses around the globe or observe wildlife from afar!
- Dramatic deep-sky imaging with its optional Field Flattener (92FF) and Telecompressor Corrector (92TCC).
- Silky, smooth 2.5” Starlight Instruments Feather Touch focuser with dual-speed mechanism. The dual-speed feature is particularly advantageous for critically focusing this fast focal ratio. A digital focusing system is available for imaging.
- Rotating focuser enables you to frame your photos for optimal, artistic composition.
- Compact, lightweight tube assembly travels easily in its Pelican Air case.
- Fully retractable, felt-lined dew shield slides to its fully-extended position and then secures in place.
- Latest multi-coating technology will provide optimum light transmission.
The Mach2GTO or Mach1GTO (no longer available) German Equatorial mounts are recommended for visual observation or astro-imaging. The unique quick-and-easy daytime polar-alignment routine makes it ideal when setting up for star parties and public outreach. The intuitive GoTo Keypad serves as a full-featured mini-computer or use a planetarium program on your PC or Mac computer. You can even control the basic functions of the mount with your mobile smart device.
Roland Christen's air-spaced 3-element lens has broad band multi-coatings on all surfaces. Optimization was chosen for the polychromatic Strehl ratio to be above 90% for the entire visual spectrum with a peak value of 99.8% at the visual peak. The result is unprecedented color correction. Visually the scope shows sharp contrasty images without color fringing with well-corrected high-power oculars.
The custom optional field flattener design (92FF) achieves wide band color correction that extends into the violet regions with diffraction-limited performance designed for the most demanding modern astronomical cameras. This is especially important for the latest CMOS chips which have their highest sensitivities in the violet part of the spectrum and will show large blue halos with lesser optical designs. The 92 mm with dedicated field flattener produces sharp images at all wavelengths without blue halos or bloated stars.
|Color correction||Less than +/- 0.003% focus variation from 656 nm to 436 nm (c to g wavelengths).|
|Clear aperture||92 mm (3.62”)|
|Focal length||612 mm (24.1”); Backfocus of 160 mm (6.3”)|
|Theoretical Resolution||1.1 arc seconds|
|Coatings||Multi-layer, broadband, overall transmission greater than 97% in peak visual wavelengths|
|Magnification range||18x to 360x|
|Tube assembly||Cream white, 3.62” diameter, machined aluminum tube, fully baffled, flat black interior, engraved retaining ring.|
|Focuser type||2.5” I.D. Starlight Instruments FeatherTouch Focuser with rotating collar, rack and pinion, Feather Touch Micro 9:1 dual-speed reduction, 3.5” travel. Focuser drawtube features millimeter focusing scale. 2” and 1.25” adapters included.|
|Telescope length||19.5” (495 mm) with dew shield fully retracted; 21.75” (553 mm) with dew shield fully extended.|
|Diameter of dew shield||4.4” (112 mm) OD, retractable|
|Weight with dust cap||7.1 lb. (3.2 kg)|
|Carrying case||Pelican Air 1525 with TrekPak Dividers|
Specifications subject to change without notice.
|Photographic field with dedicated Field Flattener||
Unvignetted image circle: 50 mm diameter
|Photographic field with 0.8x Telecompressor Corrector||Unvignetted image circle: 40 mm diameter
35 mm format: 4.2 x 2.9 degrees
Focal ratio: f/5.3
Focal length: 488 mm
Backfocus Spacing: 2.52" (64.1 mm)
|Photographic field with 2x Barlow||
Image circle: 32 mm diameter, 1.2 degrees
- Tube Assembly with Starlight Instruments' 2.5" FeatherTouch Focuser, Dew Shield and Dustcover
- 2" and 1.25" Adapters
- Mounting Rings and V-Style Dovetail Bar (SBV08)
- Pelican Air 1525 Carrying Case with TrekPak Dividers
Items That You Will Need For Your Scope
- MaxBright 2" Mirror Diagonal (PMDMAX)
Accessories to Consider
- 2.5" Prime Focus Field Flattener (92FF)
- 0.8x Telecompressor Corrector (92TCC)
- Canon EOS Camera Adapter with Large 1.875" Diameter Stainless Steel Bayonet - For 92FF and 92TCC (DSLR25EOS)
- Nikon Camera Adapter with Large 1.73" Diameter Stainless Steel Bayonet - For 92FF and 92TCC (DSLR25NIK)
- Focuser Boss II Electronic Focusing Control Kit
- 10 x 60 Baader Planetarium Vario-Finder with Illuminated Reticle, 45° Erecting Prism, and Quick Release Bracket (1060VQ)
- 10 x 60 Vario-Finder with Quick Release Guider Bracket Kit (1060VGKIT)
- 7" V-Style Dovetail Accessory "Saddle for Stowaway (ACSD07)
- Base for Quick Release Finder Bracket (QRBASEM)
- Picatinny Male Dovetail Base for Multi-Reticle Finders (PICQRM)
- 2" Advanced Convertible Barlow (BARADV)
- Flat Field Converter (BPFFC) Barlow and Related Accessories in the FFC System
- Baader Mark V Binocular Viewer (BPMARKVS)
- Baader Cool-Ceramic Safety Herschel Prism (BPHERP)
- Baader AstroSolar Filters (ASTF-80 or ASSF-100)
- Kendrick Dew Remover Premier Heater (KDR004)
- Kendrick Solar Filter for Stowaway with Baader AstroSolar, Density 5-Visual (KS6004-B)
- 7" Sliding Bar (SB0800) - limited quantity available while they last. For use with DOVE08 Saddle Plate (no longer available).
Unfortunately, the 92mm Stowaway is not available off the shelf for immediate purchase. Over the years, we have maintained a notification list so that we can notify prospective customers when the scope is available to order.
July 30, 2021 update:
Our fourth production run is well underway and we have contacted all of the remaining people who had signed up on our notification list in April 2018. Roland fulfilled his promise of making enough scopes for everyone who signed up the first time that wanted one. We are producing more scopes that will need a good home. So, now what do we do?
After much deliberation we’ve decided to offer the remaining scopes in a random-drawing format. This is a departure from our usual processes, so we know you have questions. We have answers:
What do you mean, random drawing? For one week from Friday, July 30 to Friday, August 6 (12pm noon central daylight savings time), anyone can sign up on the 92mm Stowaway 2021 Random Drawing Entry form. It does not matter when you sign up, as long as it’s within the sign-up window. From this group of interested people, we will randomly choose the people who will be notified of the opportunity to purchase a 92mm Stowaway.
Why aren’t you just notifying people in order of when they signed up, like usual? Traditionally we have collected names of those interested in a particular product in chronological order and notified folks of the opportunity to purchase the item in that order. We’ve occasionally received criticism, most especially if the list is only open for a short time, from folks who were unaware of the list, on vacation, on the other side of the world and asleep when the list was open, etc.
We only have a limited number of Stowaways and wanted to give everyone an equal chance to purchase one. With advanced notice and a one-week sign-up window, we hope to catch everyone who might be interested in this scope.
How do I sign up? Go to the 92mm Stowaway 2021 Random Drawing Entry form and fill in all the required fields, including your name, phone number, email address and billing address. This is the link to the form: 92mm Stowaway 2021 Random Drawing Entry form
When can I sign up? The 92mm Stowaway 2021 Random Drawing Entry form will be available from July 30 to August 6 (12pm noon central daylight savings time for both).
Will I receive a confirmation of my sign-up? Yes. Following submission, a confirmation window will appear. Assuming that you provided a valid email address, you will also receive an auto-generated confirmation email with all of the information that you provided for your reference. If you do NOT receive a confirmation email, it may be in your spam folder or you may have entered an incorrect email address.
When will I know if I was selected? After the deadline, we will contact the people whose names we draw randomly from the entries. This process may take several months since we do not sell the final scopes in the run until they are completed. We will post periodic messages on the Availability tab of 92mm Stowaway website page regarding the status of the drawing: www.astro-physics.com/92f665
When would I pay for my order? The order process will remain the same as usual: Once you’re notified, you will have 2 weeks to decide whether to purchase and submit a 50% deposit. At that time a scope will be reserved for you and we will provide an estimated date of delivery.
We wish you luck!